I’ve featured countless acclaimed international models & supermodels on my blog. I thought it was time to do something fresh & highlight some of my favorite faces & models from right here in Barbados!
First up, model & former Miss Barbados World 2009 contestant Samantha Laverick, who is no newcomer to the local industry! Some would even say she’s been somewhat of a buzzing socialite on the island & definitely a face to remember at any party or lounge. Her bold, stunning features & banging body, like that of a Victoria’s Secret Angel, make her more than enough to qualify as one of my favorites on the island!
1. What does modeling mean to you?
– Modeling is an expression of art, creative minds and concepts coming to life. Capturing exquisite moments.
2. How & when did you first get into it?
– I was fourteen years old when I moved back to Barbados and I was approached to compete in a bikini competition. After that, word of mouth got me into most modeling jobs. I have been in love with it ever since.
3. What are some of your most memorable stints?
– I would have to say a mermaid shoot I did with Alyson Holder, it was raining, the tide was high and I had to appear poised on the reef. The shots came out amazing but you wouldn’t believe what we were going through at the time.
4. What kind of modeling are you most comfortable doing?
– Definitely editorial print, high fashion. I’m not into runway, I’m 5″7 which is considered on the short end of the spectrum in fashion, regardless it’s never been my thing.
5. What does beauty mean to you?
– Beauty is an extension of one’s soul. If your energy is positive you will appear beautiful on the outside. Of course, great makeup never hurt either (hahaha).
6. What are your views on the strict stipulations on age & size in the fashion industry?
– I believe the industry has become more open to age & size over the last 5 years or so. There is still a need for older models to represent a more mature demographic. Plus size models are also becoming more popular, but would they ever appear in high fashion shoots or NY Fashion Week? Probably not, but I do believe there is a place for everyone in the industry and for that I am happy to see. The fashion industry is definitely evolving.
7. How do you think we in the fashion industry can help to curb the rise in eating disorders among models?
– I believe knowledge is power! Models should all be guided on health regimes and workouts that will offer them optimal fitness. I believe models still fear losing their jobs and contracts if they put on weight but If we equip them with the right knowledge then the power is at them.
8. What is your diet like?
– I practice a low carb diet with little or no grains. Paleo diet (the caveman diet) is practiced in CrossFit, however, I do cheat once a week and I really make it count!
9. Do you have a workout regime?
– I work out five times a week at Crossfit with an amazing team! CrossFit is an intense exercise program featuring dynamic exercises like plyometric jumps, and Olympic lifts while using non-traditional weightlifting equipment such as kettlebells, sand bags, suspension systems or water-filled implements. It is my love and passion, I do not think I will ever stop!
10. Give some tips for models trying to get into shape.
– I would say don’t be afraid of lifting weights. Many people are under the impression that you bulk up but its a myth. I have been lifting weights for almost a year and I am nowhere near bulky. Truth is, lifting rips you out and leans you down. Cardio is a waste of time if you are not lifting with it!
Photo by Barbadian photographer Alyson Holder
Samantha’s mermaid shoot with photographer Alyson Holder